How is democracy coping with “modernity”? Is the modern global society the Democracy we want, and the World in which the future generations would like be born into? The youth, “generation z“, is challenging the generation in power to consider their interest on the future of the environment. They will have to takeover as the next generation transits to economic and political power.
So, what does the young generation want? The current society needs to familiarize itself with the principles of democracy, amidst the current trend in society to neglect the willingness to diplomatic cooperation and constructive dialogue between different views and ideologies. The conflict between the generation in power, those moving in to take power, and the future generations is not an invention of the 21st century. It is part of a social conflict cycle. The young generation is looking for political and economic inclusion.
The Greeks might be the forefathers (“foremothers”) to democracy, but it is the responsibility of the current generation to build a sustainable society for the future generations. The FridayForFuture Movement is a call to all who heed to consciousness, impartiality and to a higher standard of morality in their decision-making process. There are indeed numerous different initiatives that embark on motivating global citizens to deal with the world’s problems.
Peace, Liberty and Justice on Earth or “Heaven”?
Will there be a better place to establish peace among a plural, cosmopolitan and global society? In a society where neighborhoods comprise of a multicultural coexistence of plural communities, constructive dialogue between members are crucial for the promotion of peace, inclusive justice and respect for all people’s liberty (human rights). Any distortion and subversion of the ultimate goal to achieve the maximum security of peace, liberty and justice for the global society is tyrannical and an injustice to the global society (both to the future and current generations). There is neither a second earth nor a first “heaven” to flee to. It is the negligence towards the environment hat hast caused the conflict between the generations as they debate about generational justice.
“#FridaysForFuture is a movement that began in August 2018, after 15 years old Greta Thunberg sat in front of the Swedish parliament every school[-]day for three weeks, to protest against the lack of action on the climate crisis. She posted what she was doing on Instagram and Twitter and it soon went viral.
On the 8th of September, Greta decided to continue striking every Friday until the Swedish policies provided a safe pathway well under 2-degree C, i.e. in line with the Paris agreement.” –Source: FridayForFuture
The opportunity costs of the future generations
What kind of environment is the current generation willing to leave behind for the future generations and at whom’s costs are current liabilities being incurred and profits being earned? Those incurring higher costs may not be the payer of the cost, but the future generations. What does the global society gain, if it lives at the very essential cost of future generations? How much measure of self-interest (if not selfishness), reciprocal behavior, and altruism is the optimal diet for the unlimited amount of wishes of current generation?
Impeachment in USA: Should leaders take responsibility of their behavior towards the democracy?
Impeachment is the political process of removing an incumbent holder of a political office from the public office they hold. Leaders elected in their public office should represent the public in a responsible manner, but who really represents the will of the People in a democracy? Where are the checks and balances in the Arms of Government? Is it the Judiciary or the Executive or the Parliament. Are executive privileges above the constitution? Can the executive coerce the legislature (Senate and Congress) to opportunistic behavior and lower the political moral standards? Below is a RSS from CNN for a follow up.
“The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.Article II – Executive Branch, Section 4 of the Consitution (Ratified 17.06.1788 and as ammended) of the United States of America (USA)
- Economic Policy Adjustments in Germany and in the USA amid Coronavirus-Pandemic and Corona-CrisisHow are Governments courageously dealing with the Coronavirus-Pandemic and the Corona-Crisis? Worldwide politicians are reacting very differently. Reactions to the pandemic have now become a war between optimism and pessimism. While some politicians realize how serious the current health crisis will be, others are busy procrastinating about an optimistic future. Early birds catch the worm and can navigate through the health crisis, taking leadership on flattening the pandemic spread of the Coronavirus.
- Health Economics and the Coronavirus: How do Pandemics contribute to Innovation?The Coronavirus has caused the Corona-Pandemic disease COVID-19 ravaging human health around the globe. But are we at the edge? Will health scientists find solutions to this pandemic? How can the Coronavirus Pandemic contribute to
- Synergy between Health and Economics: Oil-Price-Crash or Corona-CrashHealth shocks can also cause economic shocks (ceteris-paribus). The coronavirus pandemic is one of the health shocks that might unravel another global economic shock. Why is that the case? Fact number one, health is a basic human need. Consequently, the satisfaction the health needs requires human decision-making in all economies. Decision-makers face the challenge of managing the synergies between health and economics amid a health shock. How is the Scenario?
- Corona-Crash 2020 and the impact on the global economyMonday 09.03.2020, will historically be remembered as the Global Corona Crash, a global health shock, that hit almost all economies worldwide. What will be the global macroeconomic and microeconomic impact of the Corona Pandemic? The financial markets reacted to
- The Magic Square and Hexagon of Macroeconomic Policy ObjectivesWhat should you understand by Magic Square and Hexagon, economic policy goals, and measures in macroeconomics? The explanation begins like this: Every economy, according to its economic order, pursues a number of quantitative and qualitative
- Future of Sustainable Cooling SystemsABB has the patent (No. PCT/EP2013/064008) with the topic “Discharge of heat from the electrical switch house on the crane”. The inventors are Bo Edmundsson and Horst Schneider. In the electrical switch house (E-House) there are heat generating as well as sensitive components. In order to guarantee operational safety, the heat generated must be efficiently extracted from the electrical building.
- What is Econometrics?Econometrics is part of the economic as a science, which deals with the statistical (empirical) modelling of economic theories (hypotheses) in order to explain, confirm or disprove economic theory empirically.
- The Technique of Scientific Writing in EconomicsSince I started training individual students from several economic faculties in German Universities about the technique of scientific writing, they asked me where they could find some inspiration to get an appropriate topic for their
- Why Diversity Programs Fail.Diversity in organizations can fail. Organizations need a clear strategic plan for implementation of diversity in their organizational environment using the following tools:
- Our Credentials for Economic ConsultancyEconomics was my third-best option career after Aeronautical Engineering and Architecture respectively, but now I understand the reason why we need to share knowledge across disciplines.
Critical questions about Democracy
- What is democracy at a global level?
- Is democracy valued by the current and will it live up to the future generations?
- How do the principles of democracy affect international policies?